Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Foods that Help my Running Performance

     So lately I have been running in the heat of the afternoon because that is the only time I can. Basically I have all day now to either make or break my run with the food that I eat. I have been trying to eat pretty strictly due to this but I always have a treat, usually its just after practice. I have been doing this for a while now and I have some good foods/meals that seem to help me that Id like to share with you all (I also enjoy the taste too!):

     -Lately chia seeds soaked overnight in 3 parts pure maple syrup and 1 part water (about two tablespoons dry seeds) mixed with about a cup and a half of plain Greek yoghurt has been a staple in my diet. Sometimes I eat them separately, but I really like them together. Ill eat that for breakfast or lunch with other foods like peaches or even a sandwich if I am really hungry that day.

     **** On a side note: I think that it is extremely important to make sure you eat enough calories in a day, especially if you are an athlete or exercise period. Now a days, many people are more cautious or afraid to eat to much in fear of gaining to much excess weight. But you need to eat. Sometimes I will eat two sandwiches, a peach, a sliced cucumber, a salad, and chips and salsa only for lunch. That's just what happens when you work out. If you are hungry, eat. You actually do yourself a disservice by ignoring hunger pains. There is scientific proof that skipping meals slows down weight loss. Eat as much as you feel hungry for, just make sure its the good for you stuff! :)

      - Anyways: Large salads and lots of veggies have been a staple lately too! It totally helps hydrate me so that I can perform my best when running (did you know that being hydrated increases your speed between 10-15% more that dehydrated athletes? yupp!)

      - I also drink a lot of soy milk during the seasons I run the most. I am not vegan or lactose intolerant, I just find that if I drink a glass of milk even an hour before a run, I get sick to my stomach and get gross cotton mouth! But with soy (or almond) milk, I can drink it for the protein and I don't feel icky later. It's a big relief!

     - I also am a big advocate of chicken and brown rice or fish with brown rice! I always perform better with that meal eaten about four hours in advance or the night before a race! It is my go to meal!


So that's everything I've got so far, but I will update if I discover anything new!

-Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment